Creating an Ancestor Wall

 Ancestor Wall


I've made a few posts about scanning the old negatives, you can catch up here and here.

While I love all these photos I've found, I really want to see the pictures, so I decided an ancestor wall was needed.

I started by having prints made of some of my favorite photos, I used Costco.

I also knew I needed frames, I found a set online that came with 10 frames in various sizes all in the same color group and in similar style. 

Then came the sorting and cutting the pictures to make them all fit.

This was achieved by spreading everything out on the floor in front of me so I could get a good overview. Can I add, that keeping the dogs out of the way was the hardest part for me.

Photo taken by Jeri Jones


Once I had a layout ready I made sure to add a label to the back of each photo with the name, date of birth and death, and location where photo was taken if known.

Next step was cutting out old paper to make a template on the wall so I could see how things would fit. This would ensure that I only had to put one hole in the wall per picture also.

Photo taken by Jeri Jones

Once everything was the way I wanted it the framed photos went up.

Photos starting upper left: James B Lloyd son James A Lloyd wife Sallie Adams Lloyd; David Adams with wife Martha Blankenship; pineapple needle point by Katie Compton Lloyd; William H Mason; Lillian Mason Dollar, Nell Mason Butt, Jerry Butt, Juanita Butt Jones; John M Kilgore and wife Nancy Hammond Kilgore; Juanita Butt and Johnny Jones; James C Lloyd and Mary L Bolt; Lula Kilgore, Anna Vinyard, Nancy Hammond Kilgore, George W Jones and Lula Kilgore Jones. Photo taken by Jeri Jones

That large pineapple needlepoint - that was done by my great grandmother, Katie Compton Lloyd, she was born, raised, and lived most of her life in---- Pineapple Alabama.

I think this wall turned out very nice, and I have a post coming up about one of the photos on this wall soon. 

Now, to find more wall space to add more of the pictures I have as this isn't even half of them.

Do you have an ancestor wall? If so do you have a favorite photo up on it?








Comments

Popular Posts