Genealoy Gold Mine

As I said in this blog post I've been busy cleaning negatives. No it's not fun, but it gets me to my final goal of scanning the negatives.

So far I've scanned 50 of the approximately 300 negatives.

Here is my favorite picture so far


Lillian Mason Dollar, Juanita Butt Jones, Nell Mason Butt, Jerry Butt 1936
                                  

I shared this picture with my dad and aunt and my aunt confirmed that it was my grandmother, her brother, her mother, and her aunt in the photo.

Since it doesn't snow much in Alabama I was able to use Google to find information about this snow storm. According to Bhamwiki there was a multi day snowstorm in late January 1936, this would make my grandmother 10 in this photo and her brother Jerry 13. My great grandmother, Nell Mason Butt, is 38 in this picture and her sister Lillian Mason Dollar is 32.

Why I love this picture so much: this is the youngest I've ever seen my great grandmother. I knew her, she died when I was 23, but this is the 1st time I've seen her in her younger days and it took my breath to realize it was her. That is my Nanny, enjoying the moment with her kids in the snow. I would bet money that my great grandfather David Butt took this picture of his family.

I used the colorizing tool on  MyHeritage.com to add color to the photo and bring it to life. 


I've also came across pictures of my grandfather and grandmother at the beach, possibly on their honeymoon and to see my grandmother in a bikini looking like a 1940s movie star has filled me with joy and few giggles. 

Now, to scan more pictures and see what I can find.

What is your favorite old photo of your family?


Comments

Popular Posts